Unchecky – down a potentially unwanted program

has long been the norm of the fact, that when you install a software (and sometimes other circumstances) offers additional potentially unwanted software such as toolbar or "defender". Also often come across suggestions to change the startup page or search engine. These suggestions are provided as part of the installation process and, as a result, an inexperienced user sets all the default set, nothing suspecting. I think the result, everybody knows.

I've been thinking about this problem, and today I want to provide you with a solution — a program called Unchecky (from the English. uncheck – uncheck). Details under the cut.

the

how it all began


The idea about writing programs against the toolbars and stuff I had for a long time. The idea was, but to implement was pulled. Over time it may be forgotten, but me about it constantly reminded.

More than once I was visiting friends who "do not know how to use a computer", and removed dozens of toolbars, defenders of the left registry cleaner, etc. At the same time, I, as the author of several programs, a couple of times received proposals to incorporate such garbage in my installers, I politely (or not) refused.

And then, one fine day, I decided to realize the idea.

the

Implementation


It helped me website Softpedia, which writes in detail what programs, what "bonuses" when you install, for example:
Offers to download or install software or components that the program does not require to fully function.
With the help of Google and a small script I downloaded a few hundred dirty installers, launched the VM and began to study animals. After a short analysis I came to the conclusion that the most effective measure would be to programmatically remove the checkboxes, as they provide almost all the installers.

A month later I had the first working prototype, the goal was to add support for the greatest number of installers from my collection.

the

What happened


Get a program called Unchecky, the beta version is available for download.
This program is able to:
the

    Automatically deselect.
    With Unchecky you have a good chance to install the program method next-next-next-finish, without changing the start page/search engine or installing toolbars.
    Of course no program is perfect and may miss a tick, so this installation method is still not recommended.

    Warning.
    Often unsolicited proposal disguised as an integral part of the installation — such as clicking on next once again means the agreement on the installation of the toolbar. Unchecky warns you in such cases, reducing the chance of accidentally installing unwanted programs.

    Automatically updated.
    The program Unchecky and AdBlock for web, not universal. It is necessary periodically to adjust for new installers. Since updates occur in the background, you, the user, should not worry.



the

What's next


It all depends on how Unchecky will react writers toolbars and other pleasures. And this is partly, I think, depends on you. Unchecky just to get around, but on the other hand, and I will be easy to add support for new checkboxes.

I hope you can find enough free time to support the project. You can also material part, if you liked the idea. Also I will appreciate any advice and suggestions.
Article based on information from habrahabr.ru

Комментарии

Популярные сообщения из этого блога

Car navigation in detail

PostgreSQL: Analytics for DBA

Google has launched an online training course advanced search